How to Cook Salmon - Roasted Salmon with Lemon Lavender Beurre Blanc
with Chef Matt Dunk
|Created this on a whim on July 27 at our Kyuquot Lodge. It was amazing and guests requested that the recipe get posted.
Special thanks to Eva's fresh herb garden!
Take time to prepare the salmon by individual portions in advance. This allows for uniform cooking and the ability to remove the smaller pieces before the thicker ones.
Thawing: Cut open the bag in a corner or slot on the top and thaw completely in a refrigerator. For us this means taking it out the night before use.
Rinsing: (Key Step) Rinse the fish thoroughly with cold water. Use a piece of paper towel to wipe it off and pat it nearly dry again. If you smell the fish before and after rinsing you will notice a big difference.
Dealing with the skin: With a sharp knife remove the skin before cooking.
Pre Portion Salmon:
- 2-3 inch wide sections of a Salmon filet (one side)
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt per part
- Min 30 mins
- 3 parts olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped shallot
- 2 Tbsp fresh oj
- 1 Tbspgrated orange zest
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp aplle cider vin.
- 1\2 cup cubed cold butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lavender blossoms
- Add shallots, lemon juice, OJ, cider vinegar into pan and reduce until half.
- Add 1\2 cup cubed cold butter piece by piece and mix as to emulsify with shallot reduction
- Add 1 Tbsp fresh orange zest and 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Add fresh lavender blossoms
- Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 400 if roasting or use bbq
Roast in oven for 4-6 mins in oven
Or 2 mins a side for grill for a
Cook to 140 degrees if using temperature probe, let stand to finish after removing from oven